• Title
    Bandon Town Commissioners/Bandon Town Council
  • Reference
  • Date
    1835-2014 (1609)
  • Creator
  • Scope and Content
    Bandon Town records have been arranged into a number of series, as follows: TC/BN/1 Minute books of the Bandon Town Commissioners/Bandon Town Council (1837-2004). These record proceedings, meetings and decisions and include minutes of monthly meetings, special meetings, and financial meetings of the Bandon Town Commissioners/Bandon Town Council. Many minute books also contain details of elections and Bandon Town Commissioners’ declarations of office. TC/BN/2 Minute books of the town’s Gas Department and Direct Labour Department (1900 - 1917). TC/BN/3 Committee Minutes 2004-14 (Joint Policing and Municipal Policy committees) TC/BN/4 Town Clerk's Correspondence 2006-14 TC/BN/5 Files and other items 1835-2004, including documents concerning legal and auditing activities of the Town Commissioners (1835-1918 [incls copy of 1609 map]); documents concerned with the management and trustees of Bandon Town Hall (1862-1918); traffic bye-laws (1981-95); Town Hall visitors’ books (1991-95), land sale and acquisition including Tenant Purchase (1985-2003); correspondence regarding town mace and arms; Town Clerk’s correspondence (2002); Bandon Town Study (1994); and file of historic/heritage images of Bandon (Irish Walled Towns and Irish Historic Trust [1990s]) TC/BN/6 Rent, annuity, and tenant purchase books (1959-99). These record payment details and names of tenants and tenant-purchasers of Town Council-owned property, including artizans’ dwellings. *This collection was initially given the reference code TC/42, which was changed to TC/BN in 2012. File TC/BN/5/1 was originally coded as U135. Some renumbering of items occurred in the context of accruals in 2013 and 2015. The TC/BN Descriptive List gives greater detail on the above series and items contained in them. The collection provides a detailed record of the history of Bandon, one of Cork's most significant urban centres from the time of its foundation by Richard Boyle, earl of Cork, in the 1600s. While there are some gaps in the minutes, taken together the records cover most of the nineteenth and twentieth century, and the early years of the twenty-first century, prior to the abolition of town councils in 2014. The collection is of interest to students of local government, and of urban, local, and social history and heritage.
  • Extent
    43 items
  • Language
    English, some Irish
  • Level of description